Shannon L. Fields
• Professional Engineer, Delaware License #15527
• National Instruments’ Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Education: B.M.E. Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware
Shannon Fields, P.E. is a Professional Engineer with degrees in physics and mechanical engineering. He has over 30 years’ experience in the design, engineering, and operation of advanced processes for thin film deposition and solar cell fabrication.
- “Vapor Transport Deposition of Cadmium Telluride Films,” Brian E. McCandless, Robert W. Birkmire, Wayne A. Buchanan, Shannon Fields, Gregory M. Hanket, Proc. 29th IEEE PVSC, 547 (2002).
- “Processing Improvements for Roll-to-Roll Deposition of Cu(InGa)Se2,” E. Eser, S. Fields, G. Hanket, R.W. Birkmire, W. Shafarman, Proc. DOE Solar Energy Prog. Review Mtg., 32, (2004).
- Cu(InGa)Se2 Solar Cells on a Flexible Polymer Web," R.W. Birkmire, E. Eser, S. Fields and W.N. Shafarman, Progress in Photovoltaics 13, 141 (2005).
- “Critical Issues in Vapor Deposition of Cu(InGa)Se2 on Polymer Web: Source Spitting and Back Contact Cracking,” Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, Gregory Hanket, Robert W. Birkmire, Jeffrey Doody, Proc. 31st IEEE PVSC, 515 (2005).
- “Critical Issues for Cu(InGa)Se2 Solar Cells on Flexible Polymer Web,” Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, William Shafarman, Robert Birkmire, submitted to the 19th Space Photovoltaic Research and Technology Conference (SPRAT XIX), Sept. 2005.
- “Design Strategy for Scale-Up of Physical Vapor Deposition of Cu(InGa)Se2 on Flexible Substrates,” Kapil Mukati, Babatunde A. Ogunnaike, Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, Robert W. Birkmire, Proc. 32nd IEEE PVSC and WCPEC-4, 1842 (2006).
- “Design of a Vapor Transport Deposition Process for Thin Film Materials,” G.M. Hanket, B.E. McCandless, W.A. Buchanan, S. Fields, R.W. Birkmire, J. Vac. Sci. and Technol. A, 24, 1695 (2006).
- "Scaleup of Cu(InGa)Se2 Thin Film Coevaporative Physical Vapor Deposition Process, 1. Evaporation Source Model Development," Kapil Mukati, Babatunde A. Ogunnaike, Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, and Robert W. Birkmire, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 48, 5975-5991 (2009).
- “Scaleup of Cu(InGa)Se2 Thin-Film Coevaporative Physical Vapor DepositionProcess, 2. Evaporation Source Design”, Kapil Mukati, Babatunde A. Ogunnaike, Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, and Robert W. Birkmire, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 48, 5992-5999 (2009).
- "Cu(InGa)Se2 Photovoltaics on Insulated Stainless Steel Web Substrate," Erten Eser, Shannon Fields, Woo K. Kim, Elizabeth McQuiston, Kihwan Kim, and William N. Shafarman, Proc. 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 661 (2010).
- "Commercial-Scale Sources for the Evaporation of Elemental Cu, Ga, and In: Modeling, Design and Validation," Gregory M. Hanket, Robert W. Birkmire, Shannon Fields, and Erten Eser, Proc. , Proc. 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 770 (2010).
- “Design and testing of pilot-scale Cu and mixed-vapor Ga-In evaporation sources”, Gregory M. Hanket, Shannon L. Fields, and John R. Elliott, Proc. IEEE 40th Photovoltaic Specialist Conference (2014).
- “Bandgap gradients in (Ag,Cu)(In,Ga)Se2 thin film solar cells deposited by three-stage co-evaporation” Christopher P. Thompson, Lei Chen, William N. Shafarman, Jinwoo Lee, Shannon Fields, Robert W. Birkmire, Proc. 42nd IEEE Photovoltaic Spec. Conf. (New Orleans, 2015)
- Quantifying Bulk and Surface Recombination in CdTe Solar Cells Using Time-Resolved Terahertz Spectroscopy” Mohammad M. Taheri, Triet M. Truong, Shannon Fields, William N. Shafarman, Brian E. McCandless, Jason B. Baxter, Proc. 48th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 648 (2021).
- “Pyrolyzer Assisted Vapor Transport Deposition of Antimony-doped Cadmium Telluride”, Du, Bin; Dobson, Kevin1; McCandless, Brian; Nahar, Aayush; Das, Ujjwal; Fields, Shannon Fields; Arehart, Aaron; Shafarman, William, Proc. 50th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 648 (2023).